Well, 2010 is just around the corner, and I feel abuzz with the possibilities it may bring in with it. I’ve spent some time looking over my new years resolutions from 2009, wondering if any of them have come to fruition. Here they are:
1. Find innovative ways to use up my growing piles of fleece scraps.
Have I done this? In a word, no. I have a giant tub that’s filled to the brim with fleece scraps. While I do my best not to add to it at this point, I have yet to find a good way to USE these remnants. Since I know I can’t use it as a substitute for polyfill stuffing, perhaps I could try to work it into my designs? I guess I’ll revisit this in the coming year.
2. Work on completely new designs.
Well, I’ve done a ton of this, with great success. Last year around this time I was tinkering with variations on my maggots, which I still do, and I had just completed the Hurdy Gurdy Man, still a favorite of mine. But over the past year I’ve come a long way from Maggots and Spawn. I’ve branched out into entirely new designs – like the Phobes, the Birds, the Order of the Lumberjack, and bunch of different keychains. Success!
3. Learn new techniques.
Well, let’s see. I’ve begun using much more felt for small details and applique. That counts. My embroidery has become much more sophisticated. That counts, too. I’m explored my sewing machine a bit, too. I’ve done my first buttonholes on my machine this year. I’ve also begun using child safety eyes this year instead of buttons, which is new and different in application and effect. Do I have more to learn? Yes! I’d love to take a class in which I learn how to make clothing – I feel like those skills would translate to some wild new plush creations. . .Now that I think of it, I’d love to take some drawing classes, too!
4. Get a business license and use it! I’m ready to take PterodactylPants to a new level.
Well, PterodactylPants has a business Tax ID #, and is registered in the state of Illinois. That’s a pain in the ass, to be honest, but an important step towards a solid future in the plush business. Success!
I’m surprised there weren’t more. I feel like I’ve done a lot more! But there is still such a long way to go.
Let’s consider what I’d like to accomplish in 2010:
1. Complete a business plan for a retail/gallery/studio space
2. Find a retail/gallery/studio space
3. Get some money to buy retail/gallery/studio space
4. Participate in at least 3 craft shows this year
5. Reach 100 sales on Etsy
6. Start a PterodactylPants Newsletter
7. Get PterodactylPants items in at least 10 retail locations
8. Explore print advertising
9. Figure out what the point of PterodactylPants Facebook and Twitter pages is. I have both of these, but I don’t know what to do with them!
10. Gosh, I feel like I have tons more! I’m super excited to see what this year will bring. Any thoughts/ideas/advice from you all would be greatly appreciated. You know I couldn’t have done half of what I’ve done this year without your support.
Happy New Year! I wish you all a happy and healthy one – and may all your resolutions come true!