I am a prolific maker of mixes. Always have been. I was that kid, back in 1994, with her ear glued to the boombox speaker, pressing “record” when those special songs came on the radio. Those mixes were fantastic – complete with choppy interjections from radio DJs. If I caught a song already halfway over? No problem! I recorded it anyway – I never knew when I’d be able to catch it again.
As technology improved, so did the mixing skills. CDs helped, Auido Galaxy helped even more. (Remember Audio Galaxy?) These days I make mixes all over the place, and give them out to friends like I was tossing out candy at a Memorial Day Parade.
Here’s a very special mix I am working on right now:
Today is my very-great-friend Cassie’s birthday, and I am perfecting a CD to send her for the occasion. We have a regular mix exchange, which I love – getting a CD from Cassie in the mail is like stepping through that elusive wardrobe to another world. She’s got excellent taste in tunes.
2. The Mae Shi – Run to Your Grave
5. Little Joy – Unattainable
6. Ok Go – This Too Shall Pass
7. Miriam Makeba – Pata Pata
8. Broken Bells – The High Road
9. Blitzen Trapper – Furr
12. Silversun Pickups – Well Thoughtout Twinkles
13. Late of the Pier – Blueberry
14. The Velvet Underground – Oh Sweet Nuthin’
16. Edith Frost – Mirage